UsE Canvs to zero
in on audience affinity
In order to build an effective target directed at Foo Fighters Superfans, a major media agency sought to analyze where their Social TV conversation lived most. Using Canvs, the media agency was not only able to understand the top programming where these Superfans engaged most, but how their conversation differed from Alternative Rock Fans’ conversation at large.
Key findings AT A GLANCE
Foo Fighters Superfans and Alternative Rock Fans both have a passion for live events, but it is the primary TV content that Foo Fighters Superfans react to.
Foo Fighters Superfans and Alternative Rock Fans are both massive sports fanatics, but Foo Fighters Superfans even more so.
Similar to their greater passion for sports compared to Alternative Rock Fans, Foo Fighters Superfans exhibit an even greater passion for football.
Media agencies regularly work to better optimize their clients’ targeting and outreach spends. One method of effectively doing this is by identifying and targeting Superfans across media type. Now sitting atop over 500 million Reactions since January 2014, media agencies can leverage Canvs to discover the networks, series, and episodes that emotionally resonate the most with any particular type of Superfan. Whether planning to target Demi Lovato or K-Pop fans, understanding a target audience’s tendencies on Social TV becomes critical for media ad spend and placement.
- Tap into the Social TV viewership behaviors of audiences interested in Foo Fighters and alternative rock bands.
- Use innovative audience targeting methods to ascertain the appropriate programming targets.
- Pull 50,000 Foo Fighters Superfans from Affinio
- Pull 100 alternative rock fans from Canvs
- Run the target audiences in Canvs to determine which TV show airings and programming types resonated most with these audiences.
- Both Foo Fighters Superfans and Alternative Rock Fans have a passion for live events, but it is the primary TV content Foo Fighters Superfans react to. Live events made up 92% of Foo Fighters Superfans top reacted-to airings. This was 12% higher as compared to Alternative Rock Fans. Though both groups have an affinity for live airings, they dominate the top airings of Foo Fighters Superfans. Focusing on these types of airings represents the most effective method of reaching Foo Fighters Superfans.
- Live vs. Non-Live Top Reacted to Airings Breakdown:
- Foo Fighters Superfans: 92% Live Airings,
8% Non-Live Airings
- Alternative Rock Fans: 80% Live Airings,
20% Non-Live Airings
- Foo Fighters Superfans: 92% Live Airings,
- Both Foo Fighters Superfans and Alternative Rock Fans are massive sports fanatics, but Foo Fighters Superfans even more so. Within the top reacted-to TV airings among both audiences, sports-themed programming was by far the most prevalent. Compared to Alternative Rock Fans at large, however, Foo Fighters Superfans were even more passionate sports fans, with 9% more of their top reacted-to airings being sports programming (77% of top airings compared to 68%). This trend suggests that not only are sports the ideal way to target Alternative Rock Fans at large, but it is even more effective to reach Foo Fighters Superfans.
- Similar to their greater passion for sports compared to Alternative Rock Fans, Foo Fighters Superfans exhibit an even greater passion for football. Foo Fighters Superfans had 7% more football airings within their top reacted-to sports programs compared to Alternative Rock Fans (48% compared to 41%). Though both groups prefer football above all other sports airings, Foo Fighters Superfans have a particular affinity for it.
- Outside of sports, Foo Fighters Superfans enjoy specials and awards shows because of their emphasis on live performances, whereas Alternative Rock Fans prefer Reality series. Awards/Special airings were the second most common type of series among the top reacted-to TV airings, driving 10% of this audience’s Social TV conversation (compared to 8% of Alternative Rock Fans top reacted-to airings). Airings within this included The 57th Annual Grammy Awards and the Oscars, both of which feature live performances by artists.
Comparatively, Alternative Rock Fans enjoy Reality programming more (12% of Alternative Rock Fans top reacted-to airings compared to 4% for Foo Fighters Superfans). This trend suggests that Foo Fighters Superfans are passionate about musical performances that occur during tentpole media events, whereas Alternative Rock Fans have a greater affinity for live events in reality shows such as The Voice. Therefore, planning around TV events that feature live musical acts in Awards Shows/Specials will likely resonate better for targeting Foo Fighters Superfans.
- Foo Fighters Superfans and Alternative Rock Fans’ top networks are both focused around their love of sports, but Foo Fighters Superfans prefer to watch them on broadcast networks, whereas Alternative Rock Fans like to use regional channels.
Top Reacted-To Airings by Genre
Favorite Sports (Measured within Top Airings)